Entry 72 of Annex XVII of the European REACH Regulation (Regulation (EC) No. 1907/2006) lists the substances which will be subject to a restriction for use in textiles, clothing, related accessories and footwear as of 01/11/2020. This list includes 5 phthalates classified as reprotoxic category 1B, namely :
- 1,2-benzenedicarboxylic acid; di- C 6-8-branched alkylesters, C 7- rich (CAS : 71888-89-6) ;
- Bis(2-methoxyethyl) phthalate (CAS : 117-82-8) ;
- Diisopentylphthalate (DiPP) (CAS : 605-50-5) ;
- Di-n-pentyl phthalate (DPP) (CAS : 131-18-0) ;
- Di-n-hexyl phthalate (DnHP) (CAS : 84-75-3).
This text sets the concentration limit of these substances at 1000 mg/kg (individually or in combination with other phthalates listed in Annex XVII of REACH) and prohibits products exceeding this limit from being placed on the European Union market, regardless of their origin of production.
This limitation has been the subject of an explanatory guide, whose aim is to clarify the scope of the articles intended to be covered by the restriction. For instance, the restriction does not apply to articles made exclusively of leather and fur.
As a reminder, phthalates can be used in the textile industry via PVC for the manufacture of synthetic leather, articles such as raincoats, shoes (soles), boots or gloves and can also be present in textile inks.